Deafblindness is a unique disability requiring that team members have knowledge and skills about the impact of dual sensory losses on learning. Combined The Deafblind Advisor Training Project will provide participants with in-depth knowledge and skills in the fields of deafblindness and multiple disabilities, addressing topics related to: Language/communication, motor development, orientation and mobility, and access to the general education curriculum.
The key goals of this training initiative are to:
(1) Facilitate a “community of practice” in the field of deafblindness in the states of CT, ME, MA, NH that facilitates the sharing of information about best practices in deafblind education
(2) Provide collegial support to staff working with children and youth who are deafblind
(3) Increase the number of personnel with knowledge and use of evidenced-based practices related to the field of deafblindness
(4) support team consultation and instate training to team members and state agencies, and
(5) develop state action plans and conduct state activities to address the technical assistance needs of children and youth who are deafblind, their families and service providers
This Project Runs will starts Spring 2017
DB Advisors must commit to the two year training project by attending 3, 2-day training modules at Perkins School for the Blind, 3 interim phone/video conferences and a final project demonstrating use of at least one-eveidnced based practice.
DB Leaders will submit data regarding:
(1) pre and post self-rating report
(2) at least one vision, hearing, communication or classroom environmental assessment
(3) family interview
NOTE: DB Leaders will need direct access to a child who has combined vision and hearing loss in order to complete observations and assessments. We encourage attendees to embed training activities within your ongoing work scope to minimize additional work demands.
NEC is in the process of pursuing graduate credit opportunities. At least forty-eight Professional Development Points will be awarded.
To register: Contact Linh Tran at firstname.lastname@example.org, or click here to download the form and fax to 617-972-7354.